WSET ONLINE Level 3 Award in Wines
SATURDAY COURSE. This in-depth and intensive course is the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 3 Award in Wines (formerly known as the Advance Certificate).
The course is designed for anyone wishing to gain a detailed knowledge of wines and build upon knowledge gained at Level 2. You will acquire a thorough understanding of the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wines from key wine producing regions of the world. You will also develop analytical tasting skills using the systematic approach to tasting, and your blind tasting skills will form part of the examinations.
The exam runs over approximately 2.5 hours.
Duration of course:
The online classroom sessions run 10am-12pm and 1pm-3pm on the following Saturdays (not consecutive):
- 12th Sep
- 10th Oct
- 24th Oct
- 31st Oct
- 7th Nov
- 21st Nov
- 5th Dec
Exam date: The exam must be taken in person and a complimentary tasting revision tutorial is included. A provisional date of Sat 19th Dec is set for the exam at The Clayton Hotel in Cambridge (but this date may need to be re-aranged). We will start at 11am for the tasting tutorial and the exam will run 1-4pm.
If you cannot attend any online classroom date this needn't matter - the sessions will be recorded for you to review. So long as you are doing all the reading you should be able to easily catch up on anything missed.
This qualification has full accreditation from the UK Government’s Qualifications & Curriculum Authority as a Level 3 Vocational Qualification. It also provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress on to the Diploma Level 4.
We recommend this course to those who have already completed the WSET Level 2 Wines and Spirits Award, as the syllabus assumes that candidates already possess a good basic understanding of simple wine making techniques, key grape varieties and viticultural patterns.
It is excellent vocational training in product knowledge for those employed in the drinks industry who already have a good working understanding of the broad range of alcoholic beverages available, but who need to refine and develop their knowledge
The course is also increasingly popular amongst those not employed in the drinks industry but who have a serious interest in wine, and wish to study this fascinating subject to a very high level of theoretical knowledge and tasting skill under the guidance of a professional wine tutor.
If you are an employer wishing to train your staff this course will equip them with knowledge and understanding of a wide range of products. This course is suitable for someone in a supervisory level position in wine sales and service.
You can view a copy of the course specification by clicking here (opens a new window).
56 hours additional private study is recommended for this course. It is strongly recommended you study 5-6 hours a week evenly over the duration of the course to be ready for the exam.
- Wine Tasting; Taste, describe and analyse wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching; A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Labelling; Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Wine Production; Learn about the production factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine from vineyard to bottling
- Light Wines; Learn about the styles of wines produced in the key wine regions and districts of the world: France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Germany, Greece, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, North and South America, England and Wales
- Sparkling Wines; Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of sparkling wines from the key wine producing countries: France, Spain, Italy, Germany, New World - Australia, California, New Zealand, South Africa
- Fortified Wines; Learn about the methods of production/main styles of fortified wines from the key wine countries: Spain, Portugal, France, Australia
- Number of Wines Tasted; 26 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials: Students will receive an Advanced course study pack, consisting of the course book, study guide and tasting card
- Duration of course; 30 hours in class plus 2 hour 15 minutes examination
- Recommended Private Study; 56 hours additional private study is recommended for this course. It is strongly recommended that the majority of the private study is done in preparation for each session
- Examination; The Advanced examination comprises of two parts: Part one will be a combined theory paper consisting of a 50 question multiple-choice section and a four question short answer writtten section. Part two will be a blind tasting of two wines. A mark of 55% required in all sections to pass
- Certification; All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin
- online course format running over 8 x Saturdays
- the Level 3 Award in Wines online course covers the same syllabus as the classroom course and is delivered in LIVE virtual lessons by one of our certified wine educators
- students receive a complete WSET Level 3 Award in Wines course study pack comprising the course book, study guide with maps and example questions and forms for your own tasting notes, laminated 'Systematic Approach To Tasting' card
- 30 hours online tuition (15 x 2 hour sessions) and recommended minimum of 56 hours additional home study
- tastes 24 wines fully tutored on the course
- receive access to practice multiple-choice revision questions specific to this course
- you will be sent details of how to join your LIVE sessions when you book
Please note a reliable broadband connection is essential for the completion of this online course as is basic computer skills.
To obtain the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Qualification, you will need to successfully pass the exam. The exam takes 2.5hrs to complete and is made up of a theory and tasting section.
The exam must be taken in-person in Cambridge and we will offer a complimentary face-to-face tasting practice and calibration session. Provisional exam date: 19 Dec.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
- Registration Deadline: 8 Sep.
The course fee includes:
- All WSET course materials posted to you at no extra charge including; Looking Behind the Label course manual, Study Guide, specification and SAT Tasting Card
- 15 x LIVE virtual, interactive sessions taught by a Local Wine School WSET Certified Tutor
- Exclusive access to practice multiple choice questions
- Internationally recognised WSET qualification, certificate and pin for those who pass the exam
It is recommended that 24 wines are tasted as part of this course. Please note that the cost of wines is not included in the course fee above.
Our wine experts have specially selected wines for this course designed to demonstrate specific learning outcomes. We have negotiated a specially discounted price only available to our online students - the case of 24 wines will cost £350-£375 including delivery.
Details of how to order your case of wines will be provided 10 days before the start of the course.
Special Educational Needs:
Please make the school aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
Places remaining: 7
Course Date/Time: Sat 12th Sep 2020 at 10am
Duration: 2 hrs x 15 sessions