WSET ONLINE Level 2 Award in Wines
WEEKDAY AFTERNOONS. This beginner to intermediate level qualification course provides a structured exploration of the world of wine and is suitable for both wine industry professionals and wine enthusiasts.
You do not have to first complete Level 1 - you can jump in straight at this level (Level 2) if you like.
Individuals on this course will gain knowledge of the principal and regionally important grape varieties of the world and the styles of wine they produce. Through a combination of tasting and theory, candidates will explore the factors that impact style and quality and learn how to describe wines with confidence.
What the course covers:
- Wine tasting: You will learn how to taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting (SAT)
- Food and wine pairing: You will learn the principles of food and wine pairing
- Wine service and storage: You will learn the correct way to store and serve wine and how to recognise common faults found in wine
- Labelling: You will learn how to decode and understand wine labels
- Factors influencing the style of wine: You will explore how environmental factors, grape-growing, vineyard and maturation options influence the style and quality of the wines made all over the world
- Grape varieties: You'll learn about the styles of wines produced by the key international red and white grape varieties (Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Merlot and Syrah/Shiraz) as well as the styles of wines made with 22 regionally important grape varieties grown in 70 wine regions (GI's) around the world
- Sparkling and Fortified wines: You will be taught how grape varieties and winemaking processes influence the style of wines in these two key wine categories
The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification
No prior wine knowledge is required however the course builds upon the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines which may be a suitable place to begin for some people. We recommend you read the course specification document before you sign up for the course. You can read this document by clicking here.
- online weekend course, over 4 consecutive Sundays
- the Level 2 Award in Wines online course covers the same syllabus as the classroom course and is delivered in LIVE virtual lessons by one of our certified wine educators
- students receive a complete WSET Level 2 Award in Wines course study pack comprising the course book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world 'Behind the Label'), study guide with maps and example questions and forms for your own tasting notes, laminated 'Systematic Approach To Tasting' card
- 16 hours online tuition (8 x 2 hour sessions) and recommended minimum of 12 hours additional home study
- tutor tastes 12 wines with you on the course (for more details see below)
- you receive access to practice multiple-choice revision questions specific to this course
- you will be sent details of how to join your LIVE sessions when you book
Please note a reliable broadband connection is essential for the completion of this online course as is basic computer skills.
To obtain the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines Qualification, you will need to successfully pass the exam. The exam is made up of 50 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 1 hour. A mark of 55% is required to pass the exam.
The exam may be taken online at a date convenient to you or it can be taken at any of our Local Wine School locations, including Cambridgeshire Wine School, when we are able to offer classroom courses again.
Please note - taking the exam online incurs an additional £25 fee to cover remote invigilation organised by a third party company, but saves you any travel costs.
Course Schedule & Important Dates:
- Registration Deadline: Tues 27th Oct.
The 8 x 2-hour online classroom sessions run 2pm-4pm on these dates:
Monday 2nd Nov
Thursday 5th Nov
Monday 9th Nov
Thursday 12th Nov
Monday 16th Nov
Thursday 19th Nov
Monday 23rd Nov
Thursday 26th Nov
The course fee includes:
- All WSET course materials posted to you at no extra charge including; Looking Behind the Label course manual, Study Guide, specification and SAT Tasting Card
- 8 x LIVE virtual, interactive sessions taught by a Local Wine School WSET Certified Tutor
- Exclusive access to practice multiple choice questions
- Internationally recognised WSET qualification, certificate and pin for those who pass the exam
It is recommended that 12 wines are tasted as part of this course, although this is optional and not essential to complete the course. Please note that the cost of wines is not included in the course fee above.
Our wine experts have specially selected wines for this course designed to demonstrate specific learning outcomes. We have negotiated a specially discounted price only available to our online students - the case of 12 wines costs £120.44 including delivery.
Details of how to order your case of wines will be provided when you book your place.
Special Educational Needs:
Please make the school aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
Places remaining: 9
Course Date/Time: Mon 2nd Nov 2020 at 2pm
Duration: 2 hrs x 8 sessions