WSET Level 1 Award in Wines
SUNDAY COURSE - The Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 1 Award in Wine (formerly known as the Foundation Certificate) is an ideal introduction to wine.
This wonderful course takes place in a central Cambridge hotel and lays the foundation for understanding wine, giving you confidence for food and wine pairing and an introduction to different styles of wine.
The course is designed for people who prefer to learn in a fun, but structured and concentrated way, finishing with a short multiple choice exam.
Level 1 is very suitable for:
- those interested in learning the basics out of personal interest
- anyone considering embarking on a professional career in the drinks industry.
You do not need any previous experience in wine tasting. The course is completed in a single day (including the multiple choice exam) making it easy to fit in with busy schedules.
WSET Level 1 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as a Level 1 Vocational Qualification.
- Wine Tasting : Taste and describe wines using the WSET® Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching : A practical guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage : Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wine
- Social Responsibility : A guide to sensible drinking
- Types and Styles of Wine : Learn about what makes wines taste different
- Grape Varieties : Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from the main grape varieties
- Main white grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
- Main black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
- Named Wines : White: Pinot Grigio, Muscadet, Sancerre, Chablis, Sauternes
- Red: Claret, Beaujolais, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Rioja, Chianti
- Number of Wines Tasted : 9 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials : Students will receive the Foundation Certificate Study Guide
- Course Specification: review the course specification in preparation for the course by clicking here
- Duration of course : 1 day inclusive of examination
- Examination : 30 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 45 minutes. A mark of 70% required to pass
- Certification : All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
Fee: £150 (this saves £25 against the £175 price set by WSET in London). The fee includes:
- study book
- 9 wines
- food & wine matching activities
- professional WSET tuition by WSET-Certified Tutor
- examination fees
- internationally-recognised WSET qualification certificate and pin for those who pass
Please Note: you must book the course in advance in order to allow time to register you with WSET to sit the exam.
After booking please email us with your date of birth and name as you would like it to appear on the certificate so that we can complete the registration process which will allow students to take the exam on the day of the course. Also remember to bring some photo ID with you on the day (WSET requirement for the exam).
Special Educational Needs: please make the School aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
Course tutor: Mark Anstead
Places remaining: 2
Course Date/Time: Sun 23rd Feb 2020 at 10am
Duration: 7.5 hrs
Venue: Clayton Hotel, Station Road
Clayton Hotel Cambridge
27-29 Station Road