8-part World of Wine £120
Welcome to the most popular wine course in Cambridge! Our 8-part evening class is designed as a practical introduction to the World of Wine:
- become more confident choosing wine
- explore and discover new favourites
- meet new people sharing your interest
It's flexible - if you have to skip a session you can pick it up next time it runs (see more below). And no previous experience is required – the emphasis is on learning by tasting different wines.
It is a perfect gift for people who enjoy wine and would like to learn more in a fun and relaxed environment. Click here to buy an undated Gift Voucher (or book a specific course below and then email for a voucher).
OR click here to see Online Wine Tastings that you can join from home.
OFFER - get One Night Free on the 8-week course! It works like this:
- pay £120 course fee to reserve your space
- bring £10 cash each night (towards wine, nibbles and materials)
- this SAVES £25 compared to individual session prices (one night free)
Recent review: "Brilliant introduction. Each week a different country with the right level of information and wine to taste. Wines tasted are all affordable and available from local places. Fun and informative - highly recommended!"
(Read full Tripadvisor review here).
WHAT IF I HAVE TO MISS ANY EVENINGS?
No problem - Pick up the missed session on the next World of Wine Course, or get a credit you can use for any of our wine courses or wine tastings. Courses run throughout the year - more dates announced soon.
WHAT WILL I GET FROM THIS COURSE?
By the end of the 8 evenings:
- You will have gained a good understanding of the world's major grape varieties and the wine styles they produce
- You will have been taught to assess and taste wine like a true professional, and be able to identify any faults found in wine (e.g. a corked wine)
- During the 8 evenings we will have tasted wines from most of the worlds major wine regions (tasting 50+ wines)
- Food & wine matching will also have given you a lot of confidence to try new wine pairings with your favourite foods
- You will also have developed your sense of smell and wine vocabulary
Professional ISO tasting glasses, comprehensive tasting notes and some nibbles to help compare food groups with wine are provided
KEY FEATURES OF THE WORLD OF WINE COURSE
- Taste over 50 delicious wines in 8 weeks
- Retail prices of wines tasted will generally be between £5 and £20
- Discover where to obtain today's best value for money wines.
- Wine and food matching advice
- Common wine faults - how to spot them
- Storing and serving wine advice
- Taste the world’s major red grape varieties – Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Grenache and others
- Taste the world’s major white grape varieties – Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, Semillon, Viognier, Pinot Grigio, Chenin Blanc and others
- Professional ISO tasting glasses, tasting notes and course notes are all provided
COURSE OUTLINE: WEEK BY WEEK
- Week 1 - Tasting skills, aroma tests, major grape varieties (note it is not a requirement to attend this session first - if you happen to be away and can't attend the content is re-capped in other sessions and it won't spoil your enjoyment to catch it again later or even do it last!)
- Week 2 - France: all the major regions + the importance of climate and weather
- Week 3 - Italy: the major wines + principles of wine and food pairing
- Week 4 - Spain & Portugal + serving and storing wine
- Week 5 - Chile & Argentina + common wine faults
- Week 6 - Australia & New Zealand + how wine is made
- Week 7 - USA & South Africa + understanding wine labels
- Week 8 - Champagne & Sparkling Wine
Tastings start at 7pm and run for approx 2 hours, finishing 9pm.
Each week we will examine how different grape varieties, different climates and local wine-making techniques impact on the aromas and flavours of the wine. Through practice and our guidance you will learn how to identify the wine's characteristics - we show you how to taste and appraise wine like a professional. We believe that the best aide to learning about wine is the process of tasting and comparing for yourself and that is exactly what you will have the chance to do in our relaxed and informal setting.
Join us on a jaunt around the globe on Tuesday evenings as we visit a variety of wine-making countries, tasting everything from Chianti Classico to Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. If you want an in-depth,
Places remaining: 11
Date/Time: 12th Jan 2021 at 7pm
Venue: Clayton Hotel, Station Road