WSET Level 2 Award in Wines & Spirits [SUNDAYS]
This exciting and structured course over 3 alternate Sundays is the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 2 Award (formerly known as the Intermediate Certificate).
You do not have to first complete Level 1 - you can jump in straight at this level (Level 2) if you like.
Recent Tripadvisor review from Debbie T: "My boyfriend and I spent A LOT of time in wine shops not knowing how to choose... we decided to do something about it and signed up for WSET Level 2 with Cambridgeshire Wine School. We absolutely loved it!" (Click to read why Debbie loved it so much).
Dates: 3 Sundays (10am-5pm) - Sun 16 Sep, Sun 30 Sep and Sun 21 Oct. The 1-hour multiple choice exam is at the end of the final day.
The course was designed as vocational training in product knowledge for those employed in the drinks industry, but is increasingly popular amongst people who want to study out of personal interest alone. If you have a serious interest in wine and wish to broaden your knowledge in a structured way this course offers you an internationally recognised qualification. WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits has full accreditation from OfQual as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification.
- Wine Tasting :Taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching : A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage : Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wines
- Labelling : Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Factors influencing the Style of Wine : Study the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine in the vineyard and winery
- Grape Varieties : Learn about the styles of wines produced by the key international and regionally important grape varieties
- Key White grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
Other white varieties: Chenin Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Muscadet, Pinot Gris/Grigio, Semillon, Torrontés, Trebbiano and Verdicchio
- Key Black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
Other red varieties: Barbera, Carmenère, Gamay, Malbec, Montepulciano, Nebbiolo, Pinotage, Primitivo, Sangiovese, Tempranillo and Zinfandel
- Key Wine-Producing regions of the World: Learn about the main styles of wines from the key wine-producing regions. France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, USA, Argentina, Chile, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa
- Number of Wines Tasted: 40+ wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials : Students will receive a complete WSET Level 2 course study pack, comprising the course book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world 'Behind the Label'), a study guide (complete with maps, example questions and forms for your own tasting notes), course specification and laminated 'Systematic Approach To Tasting' card
- Duration of course : 3 alternate Sundays 10-5pm including the 1-hour exam
- Recommended Private Study : 12 hours additional private study is recommended for this course.
- Examination : 50 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 1 hour. A mark of 55% required to pass
- Certification : All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin
In addition to classroom teaching, students are expected to complete around 12 hours of private study in their own time.
A copy of the course specification can be viewed here if you wish to review it before booking.
Fee: £385 (this saves £65 against the £450 price set by WSET in London).
What's included in the Course fee?
- All WSET course materials including; Looking Behind the Label course manual, Study Guide, specification and SAT Tasting Card
- Over 40 delicious wines including Champagne & Ports
- We teach you the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine ®
- This will enable you to analyse wines objectively and consistently
- Professional ISO tasting glasses
- All course handouts and tuition
- Examination fees, official certificate and pin for all those who pass
Special Educational Needs: please make the School aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
Course tutor: Mark Anstead and Matthew Boucher
Places remaining: 3
Course Date/Time: Sun 16th Sep 2018 at 10am-5pm
Duration: 3 x Sundays
Venue: Royal Cambridge Hotel, Trumpington St