Iconic Penfolds Grange
Our latest luxury tasting is the most iconic Australian wine ever made - Penfolds Grange.
Don't miss this wonderful opportunity to sample a top vintage of the Grange that sells for £495 a bottle!
And we'll try two other brilliant Penfold reds each with it's own reputation and following - the St Henri Shiraz 2010 (£100) and RWT Shiraz 2014 (£90).
The first vintage of Penfolds Grange was made experimentally in 1951 by the visionary Penfolds winemaker Max Schubert. Schubert was aiming to create an Australian wine to rival the finest Bordeaux both in terms of quality and ageing potential, but using Shiraz.
In the 1950s many people didn't believe Australian Shiraz was capabale of ageing and maturing like Bordeaux and, in any case, the preference at the time was for making fortified wine. But each successive vintage of The Grange began to impress critics and top medals followed, culminating in the excellent 1971 vintage winning first prize at the Wine Olympics in Paris.
In 2004 one bottle of the first vintage of the Grange sold at auction for just over £20,000. It is now highly collectible and the only wine to be heritage listed by the South Australian National Trust.
Max Schubert retired in 1975 and since then the reigns have passed through a succession of other chief winemakers at Penfolds. Don Ditter created the infamous 1976 and 1986 vintages, John Duval (twice named Winemaker of the Year) made the excellent 1990 vintage. The current winemaker is Peter Gago who crafted the fabulous 2008.
The 2008 is the vintage we will be sampling - it won a perfect 100-point score from Wine Spectator and Robert Parker's Wine Advocate!
Our line-up for the evening (alongside quality nibbles of course):
- Penfolds Bin 311 Chardonnay 2016 (£32) - it's not just reds being made at Penfolds
- Penfolds Bin 28 Kalimna Shiraz 2013 (£27) - establishing a great baseline for the wines to come
- Penfolds Bin 798 RWT Shiraz 2014 (£90) - 100% Barossa Shiraz, second in line only to the Grange
- Penfolds St Henri Shiraz 2010 (£101) - an alternative expression of the grape aged in older barrels (and a great vintage)
- Penfolds Bin 95 Grange 2008 (£495) - the best recent vintage of the Grange using fruit from Barossa and McLaren Vale with a proportion Cabernet Sauvignon
- Penfolds Father Grand Tawny fortified (£22.50) - one to try with chocolate mousse
So all together £770-worth of wine to be sampled! This event is limited in numbers to ensure we all get a fair sized serving.
The evening can be bought as a gift voucher - just book your spaces then email us asking for a voucher to be sent.
Places remaining: 0
Course Date/Time: Thu 22nd Mar 2018 at 7pm
Duration: 2 hours
Venue: Royal Cambridge Hotel, Trumpington St