WSET Level 3 Award in Wines [SUNDAYS]
This in-depth and intensive course is the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 3 Award in Wines (formerly known as the Advance Certificate).
The course is designed for anyone wishing to gain in-depth knowledge of wines and build upon the knowledge gained at Level 2. You will acquire a thorough understanding of the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wines from key wine producing regions of the world. You will also develop analytical tasting skills using the systematic approach to tasting, and your blind tasting skills will form part of the examinations.
This qualification has full accreditation from the UK Government’s Qualifications & Curriculum Authority as a Level 3 Vocational Qualification. It also provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress on to the Diploma Level 4.
We recommend this course to those who have already completed the WSET Level 2 Wines and Spirits Award, as the syllabus assumes that candidates already possess a good basic understanding of simple wine making techniques, key grape varieties and viticultural patterns.
It is excellent vocational training in product knowledge for those employed in the drinks industry who already have a good working understanding of the broad range of alcoholic beverages available, but who need to refine and develop their knowledge
The course is also increasingly popular amongst those not employed in the drinks industry but who have a serious interest in wine, and wish to study this fascinating subject to a very high level of theoretical knowledge and tasting skill under the guidance of a professional wine tutor.
If you are an employer wishing to train your staff this course will equip them with knowledge and understanding of a wide range of products. This course is suitable for someone in a supervisory level position in wine sales and service.
You can view a copy of the course specification by clicking here (opens a new window).
Dates: the course runs selected Sundays 10am-5.30pm at the Royal Cambridge Hotel: Sundays Sep 23, Oct 14 and 28, Nov 4 and 18 and with the exam held Sunday afternoon Dec 2. If you cannot attend a certain date this need not matter - the materials are very comprehensive and if you do the reading and session revision questions you should be able to easily catch up on anything missed.
The exam runs over approximately 2.5 hours.
Duration of course: 5 x full days plus an afternoon exam,
56 hours additional private study is recommended for this course. It is strongly recommended you study 5-6 hours a week evenly over the duration of the course to be ready for the exam.
- Wine Tasting; Taste, describe and analyse wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching; A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Labelling; Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Wine Production; Learn about the production factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine from vineyard to bottling
- Light Wines; Learn about the styles of wines produced in the key wine regions and districts of the world: France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Germany, Greece, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, North and South America, England and Wales
- Sparkling Wines; Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of sparkling wines from the key wine producing countries: France, Spain, Italy, Germany, New World - Australia, California, New Zealand, South Africa
- Fortified Wines; Learn about the methods of production/main styles of fortified wines from the key wine countries: Spain, Portugal, France, Australia
- Number of Wines Tasted; 70-80 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials: Students will receive an Advanced course study pack, consisting of the course book, study guide and tasting card
- Duration of course; 32.5 hours in class plus 2 hour 15 minutes examination
- Recommended Private Study; 56 hours additional private study is recommended for this course. It is strongly recommended that the majority of the private study is done in preparation for each session
- Examination; The Advanced examination comprises of two parts: Part one will be a combined theory paper consisting of a 50 question multiple-choice section and a four question short answer writtten section. Part two will be a blind tasting of two wines. A mark of 55% required in all sections to pass
- Certification; All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin
Fee: £665 (this SAVES £100 against the £765 price set by WSET in London).
What's included in the course fee?
- All WSET course materials including;Understanding Style and Quality course manual, Study Guide, specification and SAT Tasting Card
- Over 70 delicious wines including Champagnes & Ports
- We teach you the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine ®
- This will enable you to analyse wines professionally
- Professional ISO tasting glasses
- All course handouts and tuition
- Examination fees, official certificate and pin for all those who pass
Course Tutor: Mark Anstead and Matthew Boucher
Places remaining: 11
Course Date/Time: Sun 23rd Sep 2018 at 10am-5pm
Duration: 5 x Sundays plus exa
Venue: Royal Cambridge Hotel, Trumpington St