WSET Level 1 £150
Gain a wine qualification in Cambridge!
Wine and Spirit Education Trust courses provide globally recognised qualifications for Wine Industry professionals and enthusiastic amateurs.
Cambridgeshire Wine School is a WSET Approved Programme Provider (APP). Level 1 is a one-day course (10am-5pm) held in Cambridge on selected days through the year (usually Sunday). Scroll down to see forthcoming dates.
Recent review: "Extremely informative and some great wines to taste. Mark is a brilliant tutor, explaining everything in an easy to understand way." (Read full Tripadvisor review here).
Our tutors are amongst the highest-performing WSET trainers in the UK, and our students enjoy well above average exam results.
Who should consider studying WSET Level 1?
The WSET Level 1 Award in Wines establishes basic skills and product knowledge ideal for preparing for a job in hospitality or wine retail, but also a good introductory first course for the wine enthusiast who wishes to study in a structured way. The qualification covers skills such as identifying wine styles, storing and serving wine, and food and wine matching.
No previous experience of Wine Tasting is necessary for this course.
Not sure if this is the right level for you? Click here to view the Course Specification (or on the orange book cover, right). The course has full accreditation from the UK government's OfQual department as a Level 1 vocational qualification and finishes with a short 30-question multiple choice exam.
- Wine Tasting: Taste and describe wines using the WSET® Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Pairing: A practical guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage: Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wine
- Types and Styles of Wine: Learn about what makes wines taste different
- Grape Varieties: Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from the main grape varieties
- Main white grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
- Main black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
- Named Wines: Pinot Grigio, Muscadet, Sancerre, Chablis, Sauternes, Claret, Beaujolais, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Rioja, Chianti
- Duration of course : 1 day inclusive of examination
- Examination: 30 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 45 minutes. A mark of 70% required to pass
- Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
Fee: £150 (this saves £25 against the £175 price set by WSET in London). The fee includes:
- study book
- wines sampled
- food & wine matching
- professional WSET tuition by WSET-Certified Tutor
- examination fees
- internationally-recognised WSET qualification certificate
Booking - please book the course in advance in order to allow time to register you with WSET to sit the exam.
SUNDAY COURSE - The Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 1 Award in Wine (formerly known as the Foundation Certificate) is an ideal introduction to wine. This wonderful course takes
Places remaining: 11
Date/Time: 22nd Sep 2019 at 10am-5.30pm
Venue: Royal Cambridge Hotel, Trumpington St